Friday, October 31, 2014

31 Days of Letting Stuff Go - Day 30 - A Candle for the Win

This post is part of a series of posts called 31 Days of Letting Stuff Go and is hosted as a link up at Write 31 Days with Nester of the Nesting Place.  For previous posts, please do visit my landing page.  You can also explore #lettingstuffgo and #write31days on Twitter.  




I am writing this on the 31st.  I made it all the way to the 30th without missing a day.  Sadness.  Womp, womp.  

But I am taking it in stride, dear readers because life is better that way.  A younger Anne would have beaten herself up about it a bit and very likely declared this series not done well enough.

What kind of way is that to talk to yourself?  

I cleared a whole heck of a lot of stuff out of my house this month.  A part of me wants to keep going with purging something every day.  The wheels have been heavily greased this month with all this letting go.  I love it!  

There was this perspective shift with writing the series.  I've purged stuff before....lots of times, but this time, I had to let go of something.  And then blog about it.  External authority, I tell you.  It does great things.

Yesterday, I was joyfully distracted by Halloween costumes, family, and homeschooling.  I didn't start purging until everyone was asleep.  Then, little sister woke up, and I had to nurse her back to sleep.  Guess who fell asleep with her, woke up at 12:30am, and thought whoops!  Just missed my very first day.

I've been through this area several times in purge mode.  Art and craft supplies are difficult to let go of in this house.  We like to create things.  (There's a little bit more storage off to the right of this picture.)

What's up with the crazy tissue paper??

One of the drawers under the tissue contained only votive candles.  Do you have any idea how long they've been there?  


Broken plastic frame under the candles


But even now, I'm thinking: But I could be like Modern Mrs Darcy and light a candle every morning and night.  Well, yes, I could, couldn't I?  It does sound so cozy to light a candle and stare at the flame right now.  It is colder out, and we are heading into snugglier times.  I could put one on the sink!  (There are some votive holders not pictured.)  

But I don't like extra stuff on the sink.  

These need to go.  I will get a new candle if I decide I want a candle on the sink.  Or anywhere, really.

I am letting them go.

Now, I can add candle hoarding to my list of things I didn't realize I was hoarding.  Candles and glass containers.  What do you hoard?


No comments:

Post a Comment