Friday, May 15, 2015

End-of-the-year homeschool thoughts



Halfway done with the month and still haven't crowned Mary

More than one person has asked lately when school is over for my family.  Quite oddly, the question caught me off guard.

I did not have an answer.

Last year, I had an almost five-month-old this time of year and just up and quit at the end of May. I hadn't planned on when to end our school year, and I finally realized I could.  If I remember right, I might have hoped to school a bit through the summer, in a reduced capacity (e.g. math games, reading, handwriting).  Instead, I let go.  (Good call.)

But then we just stopped.  Full stop.  It helped that it was husband's birthday and Memorial Day Weekend.  The time period certainly encouraged me.  It was a good time to stop.


A particularly long game of Corners
This year, I could do the same and might very well still.

However, I would like to finish two things:

1) listening to and doing the map work for Story of the World, Volume One, the Ancient World. We also enjoy interlibrary loaning lots of the literature suggestions in the companion activity guide; so, we might go ahead and do that, too.

2) Right Start Math Level B.  We are approximately ten lessons from the end.

So, maybe we'll stop when that's all done.  Sounds pretty good.

Are you about done with the homeschool year? Do you have a favorite date you like to end on?  Or are you like me and want to complete something first?  Tell me in the comments!




2 comments:

  1. Some years we just stop, too. Summer break is very much needed here, both for me and the kids. But it's nice to stop when most of our books are done :) I think I feel more accomplished when that happens. This year we will stop when math is done for the older kids (Diego is done, woohoo!) . Could be another month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sonia! Thanks for the comments. :) It just feels strange to stop 10 lessons before the end. More closure that way, maybe? ;-)

      Delete